RAY CHARLES IN PERSON ULTRA-RARE ORIG '59 ATLANTIC BLACK LABEL MONO LP VERY NICE
►Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our FUNK auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our ACETATE auctions ►Our TEST PRESSING auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· RAY CHARLES - RAY CHARLES IN PERSON - ORIGINAL 1959 ATLANTIC RECORDS MONO LP 8039
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· ORIGINAL BLACK ATLANTIC MONO LABEL WITH SILVER PRINT.
· DEEP GROOVE PRESSING
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· ORIGINAL LAMINATED COVER
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· MONO version of this album has NEVER been available on legitimate Compact Disc or in any other digital format.
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
In Person is a live album recorded by Ray Charles on May 28, 1959 on a rainy night in Atlanta, Georgia at Morris Brown College's Herndon Stadium.
The album was recorded by the concert sponsor, radio station WAOK. The station's lead disk jockey, Zenas "Daddy" Sears, recorded the album from the audience using a single microphone. The album is noted for its technical excellence in balancing band, singer, and audience, and also for its documentation of the jazzy R&B Ray Charles sound prior to his great crossover success.
"The Right Time" (Lew Herman, Nappy Brown, Ozzie Cadena)
"What'd I Say" (Ray Charles)
"Yes, Indeed" (Sy Oliver)
"The Spirit Feel" (Milt Jackson)
"Frenesi" (Alberto Dominguez)
"Drown In My Own Tears" (Henry Glover)
"Tell The Truth" (Lowman Pauling)
Ray Charles – keyboards, vocals
Marcus Belgrave – trumpet
John Hunt – trumpet
David Newman – tenor saxophone, alto saxophone
Hank Crawford – baritone saxophone
Edgar Willis – bass
Teagle Fleming – drums
Marjorie Hendricks – vocals
The Raelets – vocal group
The track "Yes, Indeed" was recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival on July 5, 1958, with Lee Harper replacing John Hunt on trumpet and Richie Goldberg replacing Teagle Fleming on drums.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE ARTICLE IN WIKIPEDIA.ORG)
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS STRONG VG++, just a notch below NEAR MINT. A few light abrasions (probably just sleeve scuffs inflicted in storage over the years) ARE VISIBLE, but they appear fairly insignificant relative to the overall condition of the vinyl, and are only moderately visually distracting. For most part, the vinyl looks impeccable, without any MAJOR visual flaws or imperfections. Much of the original luster is intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The record comes in the original stock inner sleeve.
(c) The record has a "deep groove" (an indent in the label about 1/2-inch from the edge of the label, which on SOME labels is associated with very early or first pressings).
(d) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· COVER (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, LAMINATED, GLOSSY COVER):
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT VERY GOOD++ (VG++).
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- THIS ALBUM COMES FROM THE ESTATE OF JON XAVIER CORBIN, A MAJOR AND HIGHLY INFLUENTIAL BALTIMORE-BASED JAZZ COLLECTOR FROM THE TURN OF THE '50s/'60s DECADE AND HAS A NUMBER OF HIS EX-LIBRIS AND OTHER MARKINGS:
- Cover has three ex-libris stamps on the back panel
- Two filing codes stamped on the back panel
- Cover has a tape residue in all four corners (yellowish discoloration from the removed piece of old and aged scotch tape); PLEASE NOTE: the cover does NOT have split seams: the corners were taped merely as a precautionary measure.
- Cover has a small, rectangular, sticker residue (small yellowish discoloration from the removed price sticker)
- Cover has a few tiny wrinkles along the spine
- Cover has some light ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 3 (VISIBLE ON BACK SIDE ONLY)
- Back cover has circular tarnish (grayish, dust-covered sections, which closely follow the contour of the record), probably caused by friction or by rubbing against other covers during the storage. The tarnish is similar in appearance to a common ring wear, but, UNLIKE ring wear, these grayish areas may be possible to clean up with a minor effort and with a right cleansing solution.
- Cover shows some light yellowing on back side, apparently from aging (nothing significant).
- The laminated cover has a few air 'bubbles' and wrinkles in lamination (this is a common problem with most laminated 50’s and 60’s covers
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No split seams
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No writing
- No tearing: no chips, dents or nicks on the seams
- No peel-off marks
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►click here. While you can be rest assured that ►our packaging is careful, sturdy and impact-proof, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ►HERE TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
►OUR VOLUME DISCOUNTS AND POSTAGE REBATES ►OUR GRADING POLICY ►ITEMS WE DO NOT GRADE ►HOW TO ACKNOWLEDGE WINNING BID OR RESOLVE A DISPUTE ►OUR PAYPAL “CHARGEBACK” POLICY ►ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ►OUR REFUND POLICY ►POSTAGE RATES AND DISCLOSURES ►PAYMENT DEADLINES ►FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ►Click here for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.